Re: /etc/init.d/network v. /etc/network/*

Quoth kmself@ix.netcom.com,
> So -- should I configure /etc/network/interfaces, delete
> /etc/init.d/network, and pray everything works from
> /etc/init.d/networking?

I had a machine which somehow managed to get assigned a wrong default
gateway, which was causing me all sorts of grief. I eventually worked
out (through the suggestion of someone on the list) that I hadn't
deleted my old /etc/init.d/network file, which was also trying to set
network parameters. Deleting this file solved my problem.

The moral of the story is that if you just stick with the
debian-approved (and quite simple and powerful) networking and
interfaces file, life can be easier. Might not fix your problem, but it
should make it easier for you troubleshoot.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,