Re: /etc/init.d/network v. /etc/network/*

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 06:26:47PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Could someone set me straight on the distinction between
> /etc/init.d/network and the definition files under /etc/network:
> interfaces, options, and spoof-protect.
>
> We've got a balky server which doesn't like coming on-line (and
> occasionally likes going off) when it boots.  I suspect multiple network
> config upfsckage.
>
> Docs I've been able to find are less than crystal on the distinction
> between these files.

what i've seen says that
	/etc/init.d/* are SCRIPTS that are run when entering various
	runlevels (rcS at startup, rc2 when entering runlevel 2...)
and
	/etc/network/*
are the CONFIGURATION files for various network facilities.

	% man interfaces
will tell you about the /etc/network/interfaces file.