Re: junkbuster user-agent defaults to Mozilla 3.0 for Macintosh

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 01:28:58AM +1100, caffeine (caffeine@mindrape.org) wrote:

> > In other words, the user-agent  is mangled by junkbuster to be Mozilla
> > 3.0 for Macintosh.  I noticed this when my friend  wanted to check her
> > hotmail account on my linux box and hotmail complained about
> > an old browser version (although it would probably also explain some
> > problems I've had with other sites).

<...>

> > Shouldn't  this be debianized  to some  reasonable default  (like ".",
> > which passes the user-agent string through unchanged), or am I missing
> > something here?  -chris
>
> With junkbuster making everybody look like they are running a Netscape 3 on a
> Macintosh, nobody knows you are running Mozilla on a solaris box, or wget on a
> Cray, or lynx on a hp300. You might argue that you couldn't care less if
> people find out what exact browser you are using: if so, just disable the
> User-Agent mangling completely.
>
> The are two main reasons you might want to use junkbuster:
>     1) reduce ads
>     2) privacy
>
> If the reason you are running junkbuster is just "1", then you will probably
> get annoyed by junkbuster killing cookies and telling the whole world you are
> a Macintosh user. I know a lot of people use junkbuster for privacy though,
> and I believe "@" as the User-Agent is still a good default.

Mind you, this also tells (clueful) webmasters something.  Logs from one
quasi-technical site show recent versions of IE well in the lead (35%),
with the next most-commonly used single browser configuration being, you
guessed it, Mozilla/3.01Gold (Macintosh; I; 68K) -- currently hovering
around 2-3%.  More than twice the registered Netscape usage.

It's a small statement, but monitoring this configuration is going to
give some indication of trends in privacy-fortifying software.