Re: lprng: remote printing

> I have a bunch of networked printers available (no local printers).  So,
> I created entries like this in /etc/printcap:
>
>   6tp4s65hp:lp=%P@ptoohey:client
>
>   6tp4s65hp-dup:lp=%P@steve:client
>
>   6tp4s65qms:lp=%P@ptoohey:client
>
> (don't ask me, I didn't name 'em :).  If I print to one of these
> printers using an extended printer name from the command line, like:
>
>   $ lpr -P6tp4s65hp@ptoohey somefile
>
> it works great.
>
> But if I just use "lpr somefile", the /etc/printcap entries (which, to
> me, seem identical) don't work:

I always spend hours on lprng (re)configuration (potato lprng 3.6.12-6).
If I remember my last problems correctly, I can suggest two things:

1) Check that /etc/lpr.conf has: force_localhost@

2) Explicitely define default 'lp' printer for different hosts.
Eg, I have:

lp:client:lp=ky@FQDN1:oh=NET1/24
lp:client:lp=lj@FQDN2:oh=NET2/24
lp:client:lp=ky@FQDN3:oh=IP3