Re: FA310TX (tulip) and potato

Evan DiBiase <evand@telerama.com> writes:
> Yes, this is the second comment I've heard to the effect of "the
> FA310TX is not worth the circuit board it's printed on." I've always
> had nothing but luck with them, and I don't particularly feel like
> purchasing a 3Com NIC and getting it shipped overnight, but that
> looks like it may be the only option.
>
> Sadly, I've tried the latest drivers and encounter the same
> problems. ::sigh:: Looks like Outpost.com is going to get some more
> of my business tonight, unless I can get this thing to work...
>
> Thanks for your advice, though, this isn't to say that I don't
> appreciate it :) I'd just rather not buy anything more right now :\

Well, just to offer a counterpoint, I've got 3 of these beauties. One
in a machine dual booting Win98/Debian potato and two in a PPro 200
system I use as a firewall/router/masq. One FA310TX in each system is
attached to a Netgear 8-port hub, and the second NIC in the PPro is
attached to a Cisco 675 DSL modem. I have had ZERO trouble with the
cards! Two of the cards I purchased over a year ago, and the second
card in the firewall I purchased at CompUSA a week ago. I was
expecting some trouble with the dual-NIC system but experienced
absolutely none. The second card was automatically detected by the
tulip module and I was off and running.

There's always a chance you got a bad card. Might call up their tech
support and see what they have to say.

Good luck,
Gary