Re: ESS1868

i have a ess1888 and i've had nothing but bad luck with it. i can get
my to install properly but it would always dma/io timeout. not even
the driver authors were sure what was wrong so i eventually gave up
(after about 1 yr and two kernel version, 2.0 and 2.2) and bought a
cheap, but real, sb16.

some stuff you can try:

have you checked /dev/sndstat?  that might provide some more
information if you installed the drivers into the kernel. otherwise if
its a modules (as in the generic kernel that came with the install)

you might want to try other irq/ioport settings. most drivers don't
install properly b/c the io/irq settings are wrong. though it was
probed w/ isapnp... ?

also the dma and dma16 settings can be fiddled with. you can also try
just setting the dma and not the dma16 or maybe setting them to the
same one.

and finally, play around w/ the esstype parameter.  set it for the
ess1688 (i think its this one) to make it behave like the 2.0 kernel
drivers did.  this might fix it for you.

all this information is in the sound HOWTO.  i'd recommend you read
(or reread) that...

good luck.

herbert