Re: Missing modules and the sound of silence

	Subject: Missing modules and the sound of silence
	Date: Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 05:39:49PM +0100

Quoting Glyn Millington(glyn@mill29.fsnet.co.uk):

> Hello!  I've been compiling a new kernel (2.2.17 on Potato)to
> allow for sound support; I've done it three times and each time
> it hasn't worked!  The steps I've followed are these (having
> unpacked the kernel source in a  directory off /usr/local/src..)
>
> 1. make xconfig     set up what I want included in the kernel
> 2. make dep
> 3. make-kpkg clean
> 4. fakeroot /usr/bin/make-kpkg --revision=********* compile the kernel
> 5. make modules (tried make-kpkg modules_image here once but it
> didn't work)
> 6. dpkg -i kernelpackage.deb (this as root)
> 7. make modules_install
> 8. reboot

You are doing too much.  Try this
1.  cd /usr/src/linux
2.  make menuconfig
3.  make-kpkg clean
4.  /usr/bin/make-kpkg --revision=********* ( as root)
5.  dpkg -i ../kernelpackage.deb (this as root)
6.  reboot

OR

1.  cd /usr/src/linux
2.  make dep ; make clean ; make bzImage
3.  make modules
4.  make modules_install
5.  make a boot disk or run lilo (after modifing lilo.conf)
6.  reboot

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
You don't have to know how the computer works, just how to work the
computer.