Missing modules and the sound of silence

Hello!  I've been compiling a new kernel (2.2.17 on Potato)to
allow for sound support; I've done it three times and each time
it hasn't worked!  The steps I've followed are these (having
unpacked the kernel source in a  directory off /usr/local/src..)

1. make xconfig     set up what I want included in the kernel
2. make dep
3. make-kpkg clean
4. fakeroot /usr/bin/make-kpkg --revision=********* compile the kernel
5. make modules (tried make-kpkg modules_image here once but it
didn't work)
6. dpkg -i kernelpackage.deb (this as root)
7. make modules_install
8. reboot

After this process I get lots of messages at boot-up time saying
that the modules have not been found.

Am I doing this wrong or is there something more I need to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Glyn M

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *