Re: Using RSA authentication with SSH - mini HOWTO

    kms>
    kms> The following is a brief howto on using RSA key authentication
    kms> for SSH sessions which I wrote for use at OpenSales.  Note that
    kms> the remote host needs to have RSA access enabled.  This is
    kms> assumed in the HOWTO, and is typically enabled by default.
    kms>
    kms> Corrections appreciated.

Karsten, thanks for the howto. I did get this working and as I am typing
this email am logged into my home debian system from work. It was easier
than I thought since I am using a debian system at work and don't need
to worry about windows SSH clients, etc.

    kms>     2. Connect to the remote host.  You don't have RSA
    kms> authentication configured yet, so you'll have to use an old
    kms> method such as walking up to the terminal or supplying a
    kms> password.  Add the new hostkey to the file
    kms> ".ssh/authorized_keys".
    kms>
    kms>          $ cat local-host.ssh >> .ssh/authorized.keys

that should be authorized_keys instead of authorized.keys. That got me
at first since I kept getting prompted to enter my password. Once I
changed the file to authorized_keys, everything works very well.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com

http://www.pathcom.com/~ssahmed
GnuPG Key fingerprint = A6DB 6C85 DE5A 33BB E873  E437 58B2 09CD 977B 900B