Re: Printing--what am I missing?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 08:13:12AM +0200, Vee-Eye wrote:

Thanks for your continued advice, Michael.

> From man lpr (woody):
> -V   Verbose mode. Additional -V flags increase verbosity.
>             Use debug flags for extreme verbosity.

That's very interesting... I'm using woody as well, recently
dist-upgraded, and for some reason that option is most definitely not
in my lpr man page.

Then I noticed that there are two packages that provide an "lpr"
program; the lpr package, and the lprng package.  I had the "lpr"
package installed.

So I tried switching to lprng to see if that would fix it, but no:  it
won't even configure, dpkg tells me:

Setting up lprng (3.6.24-2) ...
Starting printer spooler: dpkg: error processing lprng (--configure):
 lprng

The man page for the lpr in that package _does_ have the Verbose option,
but I can't even try it to see if it'll work because the package won't
configure and, even with the printer set in /etc/printcap as before, it
won't even recognize that I have a printer installed.

> Ok, try lpc (as root) and then status, on my machine it looks like this:
> Printer           Printing Spooling Jobs  Server Subserver Redirect
> Status/(Debug)
> lp@seitung          enabled  enabled    0    none    none

With "lpr" installed, that does show me as having a printer set up and
ready to print.  With "lprng" installed, it doesn't, presumably since
the configuration fails.

> Your printer is a HP672, correct? So you could try apsfilter
> (instad of magicfilter, because, IIRC, it includes a driver for
> the HP dj 670, which should work better ;-) (Have a look at
> www.linuxprinting.org). Though I'm not sure that this is your
> problem...

So, then, I switched back to the "lpr" package and tried switching from
magicfilter to apsfilter....

This works, or at least seems to--it correctly prints the test page in
the setup.

After the setup though, when I try to print, I get this:

hawk3@hurricane:~/test$ lpr test.ps
lpr: connect: No such file or directory
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

At least it's _telling_ me something now, which is a step up from
before; I could use some help figuring out what "connect" it's looking
for though.

Thanks for bearing with me.

--
Tom
"When you know all the answers, you haven't asked all the questions."