XEmacs 21 and updating packages question

Something that has been bothering me for quite a while: someone went
through the trouble of making a /usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/
directory, but then when I use XEmacs' built in package updating I
overwrite the packages that Debian installs.  This just doesn't seem
right.

I have found the pui-package-install-dest-dir variable and set it to
/usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ and XEmacs happily installs
packages into that directory.  But, and here is the question, how do I
get XEmacs to read the installed packages from that directory?  When I
load XEmacs it does not see any of the packages installed in
/usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ .

Even adding "/usr/local/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/speedbar" (to
pick one, there are around 25 installed packages) to my load-path does
not make a difference.

I have the same problem if I set pui-package-install-dest-dir to
/usr/share/xemacs21/site-packages, which is another Debian supplied
directory.

Does anyone know how to get XEmacs to read packages from either or both
of these directories?

Many thanks,
   Omen