Re: bash login for root

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:27:55PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 12:13:59AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > Debian doesn't put .bash_profile in for root.  I want to put one in to
> > extend root's path.  Putting my own .bash_profile means putting in the
> > path in full, since bash doesn't do roots path if there's a
> > bash_profile.  Is there anything else that would be missed out if I were
> > to put in a .bash_profile?
>
> Try /root/.profile instead.  For some reason Bash looks for it in the
> /root directory.
>
> - Nate >>

in my thinking, that reason would be:

	home directory for user 'root' is /root.

:)

i.e.
	% echo ~root
	/root
	% grep root /etc/passwd
	root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
		(field 6 == /root)

i think this is because when in single-user mode, logged in as root
for serious maintenance (kahuna backups, for example) with just
the / partition mounted, user root isn't left stranded.