Re: Firewall Box

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 09:07:22AM -0500, Matt Kopishke (kopishke@midcoast.com) wrote:
> Hi, I need to implement a firewall at work.  It will be for the most part
> a pretty simple set up.  I am going to set one of our Linux Boxes between
> the Router and the Switch.  The Box has 3 NICs, one for the router side,
> one for the switch, and one for a backup cable connection.  We have a
> block of IPs, and we will need to get to machines behind the firewall from
> the out side so I don't want to use ipmasq.  What I plan on doing is just
> using ipchains to shutoff any unused ports, and strip the box of any
> questionable software (ie ssh instead of telnet).  Has any one tried such a
> set up?  And if they have could you pass on any pointers or things to
> watch out for?  I also see there are a few packages out there to aid
> setup, how well do they work?

Though I run Debian for my workstations (and a few servers), when it
came time to put up a masquerading firewall proxy server at home, I
turned to OpenBSD.  Wes Sonnenreich and Tom Yates have written a really
good book on the topic, _Building Linux and OpenBSD Firewalls_.  Highly
recommended.  Note that there are a coupld of version issues with the
book and current software (OpenBSD is now at 2.8pre, book was written to
2.5).  There's a website for more detailed and up-to-date info.

OpenBSD also has an excellent FAQ and very helpful mailing list.