dselect questions

I am attempting to install Debian 2.2 on my Compaq laptop.  I installed the
following tasks: C++ Dev, C Dev, Debug, Devel Common, Dialup, Laptop, and X
Window System.  I was able to complete the installation, but am having
trouble adding additional packages.  I performed the installation using
official CD's.  I would like to add XEmacs and Netscape.  I have
re-installed many times trying to install the above packages and after the
installs finished, the X Window System would lock up.  I have the following
questions:

1)  Should overwrite the source list with a new list when selecting
(A)ccess?
2)  When installing the additional packages, should I hold the previously
installed packages so they are not updated?
3)  What procedure should I follow to add the packages?

Thanks for the help, I'm getting really frustrated!

Mike Cantoni