Re: LILO 21.5-1 beta, LILO 21.4.32

Hi,

I figured out the why I was having that compatability problem.

I had installed from a Corel Linux CD, then upgraded to potato, and now
to woody.

Corel has it's own bootblock which was cboot.b

This still doesn't explain the lilo version being different for the
package and the binary contained therin.

I guess I'll send an email to the package maintainer.

"Colin R. R. Johnson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to woody (apt-get dist-upgrade) which worked extremely
> well except for lilo.
>
> The lilo 21.4.32 package contains lilo 21.5-1 beta.
>
> Further, when I run Lilo (I compiled a 2.4 kernel) I get the following:
>
> LILO version 21.5-1 beta, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
> 'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2999 John Coffman
>
> Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
> Merging with /boot/cboot.b
> Fatal: First boot sector is version 20.0. Expecting version 21.5.
>
> I downloaded the potato package and it has the same lilo version I then
> downloaded the source for the package and compiled it.
>
> The source package has version 21.4.32, and I compiled that and with
> that version of LILO get:
> Fatal: First boot sector is version 20.0. Expecting version 21.4
>
> >From what I can tell the problem is with the cboot.b file.
>
> I've looked in the LILO documentation and can't figure out how to
> resolve this problem.
>
> I suspect it's something obvious and that I'm going to feel like hitting
> myself when I find the solution.

I did indeed feel like hitting myself when I realized this.