Re: disc partition plan for new install

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 11:54:13PM -0800 or thereabouts, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > /boot - 50MB
> > / - 256MB
> > /usr - 2GB
> > /swap - 2xRAM
>
> /var at least 1GB (for /var/cache/apt)
> /tmp at least 50MB to 100MB
>
> and ditch /boot you don't need it and its more trouble then its worth,
> just make sure your root partition is first on the disk and you will
> avoid any silly BIOS crap.

yes you can do away without /boot. i'm just being generous here.  in fact, /
can be 64MB only or even 50MB if my memory serves me right

> > router, mail, X) it doesn't go beyond 2GB
>
> it could but it would take alot of packages, on one of my particularly
> loaded (bloated :)) boxes i have 1.3GB in /usr (with /usr/local split off)

the thing one should really watch out for is /var since on a particularly busy
box it could get really big (shows you my box is idle still :) )

--

Who's watching the watchmen?

ICQ: 15096825