Problem installing latest version of Debian.

Okay, this is my first (and probably not last) cry for help.  I just
intalled the latest stable version of Debian (2.2, from CD) and
everything seemed to be going so I rebooted (from a floppy) and went to
the bathroom.

When I came back:
 "modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/module/2.2.17/modules.dep
(No such file or folder)" was scrolling across the screen.  I decided
to leave it alone for a while.  Twenty minutes later it was still
merrily spewing out error messages (with the occasional "VM:
do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd..." thrown in for good measure).
 I removed the disk, powered down and decided to boot from the hard
drive.  Same thing.  It's been cheerfully looking for (and failing to
find) the same file for the past fifteen minutes.  I tried escape,
enter, ^d, ^x, ^c, ^q and every other key combination I could think of.
 Yelling at it didn't seem to help either.

The system is an old 486sx w/8 megs RAM, a 239 meg HD, a double speed
CDrom, SB compatible soundcard and 14.4 modem.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

--
The Propagandist                             <propagandist@usermail.com>

"I strive for perfection in failure."