Opinions: Woody bits in potato - whats the "best" way?

Gidday - I have a couple standard Potato machines at work, and one at home as a standard Masquerading gateway. I've been playing with licq and Xvnc. On discovering that licq was up to version 0.85 from the 0.76 I was using I tried

apt-get install licq
> Package licq is at the latest version

Right - makes sense...  I'll add some woody lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update
apt-get install licq
> About to install 20 Mb worth of stuff like esound and so forth.

Hmmm - that can't be right... Perhaps I'll download the deb direct from www.debian.org

dpkg -i licq_085.deb
> depends on libqt2, licq-plugin, etc etc

After delving through a fair list of dependancies I ended up with two things that depended on each other and wouldn't install without the other, as well as libqt2 conflicting with qt.

My question - whats the safest way to install a woody package into a mostly potato system?

(sorry for the half-post earlier, I'm using eudora for which control-E is send, not End-Of-Line as I wanted :)

--
Criggie