RE: advanced power management and linux?

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Dexter Graphic wrote:

> There used to be computer called "the Brick" which was about
> that size and filed with a gel that conducted heat to the
> outside. It was black and just radiated the heat away with no
> fans or noise. Also, I've seen a prototype super-fast CPU
> that used a liquid cooling system like a car. Can you imagine
> your network going down because the radiator was leaking! <g>

Liquid cooling is the primary method abord submarines. Fans are too
noisy. Seems we should be taking some of that military technology into the
marketplace. It would be nice for server rooms to have liquid cooled
systems rather than fans. It would reduce noise, dirt contamination inside
machines, and reduce air conditioning requirements (albeit not reducing
overall coolong requirements). Cray did (does?) that on some of their
systems. Heatsinks for liquid cooling look much different ... no
fins! Just a couple of fittings for the input and output liquid.