Re: advanced power management and linux?

Dean <destruss@rconnect.com> writes:

> There is a purpose for the power supply fan you know. I
> had one going on the fritz ( running slow and stopping at
> times). I ran it this way for 6mo or so. Then all at once
> my hd started going haywire. Short story: I had to replace
> the hd and power supply.  Dean

6 months is  a long time.. sounds to me like  you either didn't notice
it was stopping,  or else you enjoyed the peace and  quiet too much to
do anything about it! Also it's not clear from the context that the hd
failure was related to the fan problem.
Right now I've moved the P/S  outside the case. This leaves a hole for
hot air to escape from the case, and keeps the red-hot,glowing,smoking
P/S from heating the other components. lm-sensors says:

temp: +33.62 C
fan2: 3901 RPM

Not sure what this means but  it doesn't sound too dramatic, we'll see
how my P/S takes it. Sticking some heat sinks on it today. -chris