Re: Off Topic: SCSI Recommendations?

<snip>
> I haven't run into any problems with my onboard U2W 7xxx chip, so...

So have I, or haven't if you like. :)

<snip>

> Anyhow what you want to look for is AHA/AIC 7xxx devices. Linux supports
> most (all?) of them.

If you look at the 2.4 TODO list it says non-PCI cards are not yet
supported or something along that line, but I'm sure you are gonna be
using PCI anyway so.

<snip>

> > HardDrive
> >
> > 2 seagate ST39175LW  barricudda's which are 9.1Gb ultra2 wide scsi 7200 rpm
> > drives.  I was figuring one for linux and one for windows (gotta game
> > fellas).
>
> Good, fairly fast, not exactly cheap, but I'm planning on getting a couple
> of 18GB 'cudas.

I dunno what your gonna do, but I think it would be a good idea to split
those drives in 2 parts, first part for windows second for Linux. That
would give you more speed I would think. But then again, some guru may
come and tell me otherwise.

And I don't wanna scare you or anything, but 2.4 used to have a small
problem with Barricudda's I think, they trashed the fs. But it's been
resolved months ago.

I personally use IBM drives, but I guess the Barricudda's are cheaper (?).
I haven't had any problems with them (I actually heared of one fellow who
dropped his IBM HD down the stairs by acident they still worked, although
this is hearsay).

I've run all kinds of pre releases of 2.4, although not the last ones
(because they have a different modules directory layout, I think I need
to update my modutils first, I'm still running an unstable now).

Hope all this helps,
	Lennie.