Re: Off Topic: SCSI Recommendations?

Trying to kill the keyboard, William Jensen produced:

> Greetings Debians,
>
> It's time I do scsi. I've wanted to for as long as I can remember but I've
> always been a little chicken to dive into it.  Well no more.  I'd like some
> recommendations from those of you on this list that use scsi.  Here is what
> I am thinking about so far...
>
> Card:
>
>    Adaptec 2940U2W (with 2.4.0-test8 kernel) <- linux.com claims support in
> 						2.2x kernels so I assume 2.4
> 						will also

I haven't run into any problems with my onboard U2W 7xxx chip, so...

>    Now I've looked at the scsi section in menuconfig and I cannot find any
>    reference to any 2940 cards though linux.com's articles say that kernel 2.2
>    you can use and compile the low-level drivers in.  What am I missing here
>    that i cannot find them?

Anyhow what you want to look for is AHA/AIC 7xxx devices. Linux supports
most (all?) of them.

> CD ROM/Burner
>
> A Plextor RW PX-W12432Ti/SW <- a 12/4/32 (write/re-write/read) cdrom for
> 			       burning cd's and general cdrom usage

Seeing that I've got very little beyond zero in the line of roasting CDs
on Linux I'll leave this to someone who has more than me.

> HardDrive
>
> 2 seagate ST39175LW  barricudda's which are 9.1Gb ultra2 wide scsi 7200 rpm
> drives.  I was figuring one for linux and one for windows (gotta game fellas).

Good, fairly fast, not exactly cheap, but I'm planning on getting a couple
of 18GB 'cudas.

JDM

--------
Jason D. Michaelson          | Debian GNU/      o http://www.debian.org
micha044@tc.umn.edu          |         __
ares0@geocities.com          |        / /    __  _  _  _  _ __  __
Jason.Michaelson@veritas.com |       / /__  / / / \// //_// \ \/ /
http://www.tc.umn.edu/       |
~micha044                    |   ...because lockups are for convicts...

Converting Oxygen into Carbon Dioxide since 1977.

Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that
there must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one
on the other end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with
a silver-handled knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony
DeBoer