gripes about packages

dear all,

there are 3 packages which work, but could be made **much** better,
considering the flack that debian gets as being the 'hard' distribution.

for instance, it's absurd to install xfstt and not give the user a heads up
that they should:

	1. install fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetop
	2. add (or at least TELL THE USER) a FontPath to XF86Config

and god forbid xfstt should come with a startup script placed in init.d and
symlinked to the relevant runlevels.

these things are so simple, and would save the newbie from heartache.  plus,
for people who are more experienced with xfstt, like me, it would be a good
reminder of what needs to be done and especially where debian expects the
fonts to go.

i'm only picking on xfstt because it was the first package i noticed that
really could be made MUCH better.  i would also like to say that imwheel and
netscape are also both deficient.   i mean, look at this:

   for d in \
/usr/lib/netscape/base-4/wrapper.d \
/usr/lib/netscape/$VER/wrapper.d \
/usr/lib/netscape/$VER/$BIN/wrapper.d ;do
      for f in $(ls -1 $d | sort); do
         . $d/$f
      done
   done

what's up with this?  why write a script that makes the user have to see error
messages every time they start up netscape?  shouldn't we all KNOW where
wrapper.d is?   it's not like this script run on a suse system.

perhaps the maintainers don't know about stuff like this?  my gripes aren't
bug reports; they're just plain common sense.

how can i find the email addresses of the maintainers of these packages?

peter

One world, one web, one program. -- Microsoft Ad Campaign            _
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer. -- Nazi Ad Campaign                ._.
<=>+/\/-=Prevent world domination, Install Linux today!=-\/\+<=>    /v\
website coming soon as I get DSL            p@belial.ucdavis.edu   // \\
  The best way to accelerate a win95 system is at 9.81 m/s^2       rules