Re: gripes about packages

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 01:34:00PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> dear all,
>
> there are 3 packages which work, but could be made **much** better,
> considering the flack that debian gets as being the 'hard'
> distribution.
>
> for instance, it's absurd to install xfstt and not give the user a
> heads up that they should:
>
> 	1. install fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetop
>	2. add (or at least THE USER) a FontPath to XF86Config

/usr/share/doc/xfstt/README.Debian  First paragraph.

See also man xfstt and man xfs.

Most packages put a README in /usr/share/doc/<package>

> and god forbid xfstt should come with a startup script placed in
> init.d and symlinked to the relevant runlevels.

Funny, I got an init script.  Maybe it was missing in potato.  Doesn't
seem likely though.

> these things are so simple, and would save the newbie from heartache.
> plus, for people who are more experienced with xfstt, like me, it
> would be a good reminder of what needs to be done and especially where
> debian expects the fonts to go.

See FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).  Debian Potato/Woody mostly
conform to this.

> i'm only picking on xfstt because it was the first package i noticed
> that really could be made MUCH better.  i would also like to say that
> imwheel and netscape are also both deficient.   i mean, look at this:
>
>    for d in \ /usr/lib/netscape/base-4/wrapper.d \
>    /usr/lib/netscape/$VER/wrapper.d \
>    /usr/lib/netscape/$VER/$BIN/wrapper.d ;do for f in $(ls -1 $d |
>    sort); do . $d/$f done done
>
> what's up with this?  why write a script that makes the user have to
> see error messages every time they start up netscape?  shouldn't we
> all KNOW where wrapper.d is?   it's not like this script run on a suse
> system.

I don't KNOW what you mean... Variables allow programs/scripts to handle
variable situations.  But yes, that script does kind of bug, since the
errors are really just warnings that aren't important.

> perhaps the maintainers don't know about stuff like this?  my gripes
> aren't bug reports; they're just plain common sense.

Most of the maintainers are highly competent.  Most things are done for
a reason. Finding out the reason, well...

> how can i find the email addresses of the maintainers of these
> packages?

dpkg -s <package>

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature: