OFFTOPIC: Reading data from a parallel port

Hi all,

I posted this question to the gphoto mailing list with no response so I'm trying
you guys...since I know there are many knowledgable people here. So without any
delay...

I'm going to try and write a program/library to read data from a portable mp3
player. Currently I must use Windows to communicate with the device, so there is
definitely a need for such a program if I want to use the device under Linux.

My problem is, I need to be able to read the data being sent to and from the
device to reverse engineer it. Therefore, I need someway to log the data that
goes across the parallel port. Thus, I'm looking for a windows app that will
allow me to do this. Nothing special, just a way to log data going across the
parallel port.

I know Linux has some packages to do log parallel port data, but, the software
runs under Windows...not Linux, so, I'll need a windows app. Also, I looked into
the Diamond Rio mp3 player utility, and they claimed to have used a custom VxD
(virtual device driver?). This doesn't mean much to me.

I've researched this for awhile with little progress. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott