Netscape http://wierdness on startup

I recently used the Debian Potato files to install/upgrade Netscape
Communicator 4.75 (not the tar ball installer but several smaller files)
and now when I start the browser it pops up an error message saying it
can not find the server. That's not unusual as it is seeking this url;
http://
there is nothing to look for. I have altered the preferences to try
every possibility with the same result every time. My conclusion is that
there is something that is preventing the edited preferences from being
used. Has anyone else had the same problem? Anyone know of a fix? All
else seems to work fine, but this just bugs me! Thanks for any advice.
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173