finding a tarball on a fat-less fat partition

I started up on this a couple of weeks ago, and got swamped.

I have a new big drive, and my old one will go to beef up the kids
computer.  In the process, I'm switching it from FreeBSD to Debian.

I created a new primary fat partition, tarred /home to it (without
compression), and then overwrote the fat when I tried to use the
cylinder numbers to make it part of an extended partition (we got this
far last time :).

It was a brand new partition, and only two files should ever have been
written there (tars of /home and /etc), so I presume that they were
written continuously.

Any suggestions on how to recover these?

hawk