Re: Demo Movies

> Is there a linux program that will allow a demo to be generated?  For
> example, A tutorial on how to use a program that will produce a movie of a X
> desktop with the correct sequence of commands shown.

  There is always the possibility to record the X protocol itself, although
a bit tricky. People have worked on the record / Xtest / XTrap extensions,
and there are a few *commercial* systems out there, including hardware.

  If you want to do it yourself, be aware that the difficulty lies in the
synchronization between the event resent and the associated actions. I've
found xlab [1], once, doing part of the job, and I've come across a solution
involving the VNC [2] system, because there is not much information stored in the
client itself. A guy from IBM designed a system to do recording of the output
[3] and input [4]

  [1] http://www.alphalink.com.au/~mvertes/xlab.html ( broken link ... )
  [2] http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc
  [3] http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/rfbproxy/
  [4] http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/rfbplaymacro/

  I'd be pleased if you found other pointers and gave me the info

--
  y.