Re: Using rsync to mirror debian

"G.Angely" <gan@rtbf.be> writes:

> Do not know the "squid cache". I will look for it.

If you install squid, and add lines like this to /etc/squid.conf:

  refresh_pattern        debian.org/.*\.deb$     129600 100% 129600
  refresh_pattern        debian.org/.*Packages   120 20% 360

Then it will keep copies of any packages you download for several
months (or until it runs out of space).  You run squid on a machine
with loads of disk space (your mirror machine say), and change the
cache_dir setting to match the amount of space you have.

The, on all the debian machines, put this in your /etc/profile:

http_proxy=http://squidhost.domain.com:3128/
export http_proxy

(replace squidhost.domain.com with the machine you installed squid on)

You'll also have to tell squid about your firewall proxy setup.
Before doing all this, ask your firewall admin if they already have a
cache.

Once you've done that, apt-get will work as normal, but the second
machine you upgrade on will get all the packages from the squid cache,
instead of re-downloading them.

You can also point your web browsers at squid, and get speed
improvements while browsing as well.

> P.S.:
> When I try  mailing to "debian-user@lists.debian.org", I got an "undelivered
> email" error:
> "Your message cannot be delivered to the recipient because his/her mail box
> storage limit has exceeded."

That's very odd --- which machine is generating this warning?

Could you try that again, and if there is still a problem, and it
seems that the bounce is being generated by one of our machines,
please forward the bounce you get to <listmaster@lists.debian.org>.
Please include any other details you think might be relevant.

Cheers, Phil.