Re: Using rsync to mirror debian

Philip Hands wrote:

> You need to get your firewall admin to allow outbound masquerading of
> rsync connections, probably, but all this is very dependent on your
> exact firewall setup.

Ok, I have not a very deep knowledge of proxies. Will ask the firewall admin.

> > The numeric address of some ftp mirror could help (a.e. ftp.debian.org).
>
> I doubt it, but just in case, its:  216.66.54.50

It does not work. I cannot ping it. I did try to add a route, with no more
success
(answer is "SIOCADDRT: network not available)

> I do think you're missing something fairly basic about the way you
> local network is set up though, so you are asking the wrong question,
> which is why I had trouble answering it.
>
> You need to find someone that understands the firewall and DNS setup
> at your site, and talk to them about what you want to do.

> Unless you're copying CDs from the debian sites, you won't see a great
> benefit from using rsync anyway.  If you're mirroring the archive, you
> would probably be better off using a squid cache, and not bothering
> with a mirror.

Do not know the "squid cache". I will look for it.

About the interest of the local mirror: it is used to maintain some Debian
machines on the intranet of my org,
and to keep a copy for home use (some, quite less, machines). You see, just to
spare some bw.
I want to try either rsync, mirror or apt-move as an alternative to lftp.
As rsync is recommended by Debian (and used by apt-move), I choosed to try it
first.

I was pleased to read your answer and will keep you informed,

Gaetan A.

P.S.:
When I try  mailing to "debian-user@lists.debian.org", I got an "undelivered
email" error:
"Your message cannot be delivered to the recipient because his/her mail box
storage limit has exceeded."