Netscape helper application configuration

I'm trying to figure out how to get Netscape to open up an application to
view a Word document. I've edited the Applications category within the
Navigator preferences to start StarOffice when a Word document is
selected. StarOffice does start up, but it doesn't open the Word document.
So, I'm thinking that I need to somehow provide the name of the file as a
parameter to StarOffice when it is executed. This does in fact work if I
execute StarOffice from the shell. Other than the obvious "don't read any
Word documents, because the authors must be lower forms of life, ", does
anyone have a clue as to how I can proceed with this?

Thanks...