Re: Kernel panic; help!

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 03:55:18PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 04:28:07AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > you have experienced fairly severe filesystem corruption, cleaning up
> > after such things is generally a nightmare.  did you run fsck i
> > presume?  (fsck a four letter word for a reason...)
>
> Yes; fsck was run, and after a lot of time checking the filesystem and
> complaining about bad inodes and such things, it got me to bash and
> said... Please run fsck manually.
> I saw this other times in the past, but I was able to repair the
> filesystem.

is the filesystem usually a mess afterwords?  ie with files ending up
in /lost+found, directories lost, things transformed into symlinks et
al.  or am i doing something wrong when i use fsck ;-)

> I could say yes. A dying disk can erase data and corrupt files. I
> remember I saw a 500 mb disk in a new computer that when it was about
> 50% full, it started corrupting everything... The disk also become a
> 1000 GB disk magically ;-) and files in one directory were bigger than
> this.

how nice..  im pretty sure this has to be a dying disk, this morning i
had a huge email from logcheck full of all kinds of nasty read errors,
block errors and inode errors, all occuring right about 6:25 and 6:30
(cron, lots of disk activity etc) so ordering a new disk and hope i
can make it work in the older system (with broken BIOS and such)

> Oh, I think I never used dselect... I don't like it very much. I
> always start installing the base system and then the base packages
> that are selected by the system without selecting any task. Then, I
> add packages -on demand-. When I need one, I use apt to install it.

this is really the way to do it i think, though its annoying to the
impatient (and to other users you may have that don't have root..)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/