Re: Debian vs. Red Hat

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 02:01:14PM +0200, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:49:04PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> >
> > Shoot, I ran from Buzz to Potato on one system until its disk died. Never
> > even rebooted except when the power failed.
>
> btw: Is it possible to switch kernels without rebooting.

no, not with linux anyway.  i have read somewhere that (i think Sun)
had a way to load a new kernel without rebooting, but they STRONGLY
reccommended going to single user mode before attempting it.  which
kind of defeats the purpose since going single user stops all services
and kicks off all users so all you have really saved is your uptime
(which has dubious meaning after such a radical procedure anyway)

> I cannot believe that's possible, however I cannot believe you were running the same kernel version for that long, either.
> (not offending, just curious)

maybe he installs his new kernel and just waits for a power failure
to reboot ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/