Re: Install of Applixware 5.0

Hi,

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Bill Ramsey wrote:

> The instructions assume rpm. There is an install.bsh script but it
> doesn't work. Support sent me a different script and that doesn't work
> either.
>
> Has anyone else installed applix 5.0 from CD ??

I had a similar problem with Applixware 4 under RedHat 5.2. The install
script was not executable, but it worked for me under Debian 2.2. If you
cannot make it work, I suggest trying something similar as I did with my
RedHat-problem: Installing the packages according to their dependencies
one by one by hand. Since you need *.debs, you have to add some steps:

You need to install the package alien (it needs rpm - the RedHat package
manager, but this is part of the dependencies). Try to debianise all
*.rpms of Applixware with alien and then install them one by one with
dpkg.
The *.rpms sometimes contain scripts which cannot be translated by
alien, but alien tries to make the best out of it. In the few cases, I
needed it, it did its job quite well.

Regards,

Kerstin

--