Re: Install of Applixware 5.0

Success! First of all, a big THANK-YOU! to this list! The suggestions
helped me install Applix. I have to say that it took a little bit from
each suggestion to finally get it to work. Also I still have one very
small problem with the program: it can't find the 12 pt Helvetica
font.

Overview: I used Michael Smiths suggestion and mounted the cdrom as -o
exec: executable. Though I'm frustrated with the support person at
applix, they did offer that I should put /mnt/cdrom/RPMS in the path
so the install script could find cpio. The command ./setup does NOT
work, as rpm isn't installed. So you have to use the install script
instead.

I ended up using the install script on the cdrom. The first time, the
script failed as it couldn't create /opt. So I did a "mkdir /opt" and
then re-ran the script and then it worked.

1) su root
1a) mkdir /opt  'if it doesn't exist
2) mount -t iso9660 -o exec /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
3) export PATH=$PATH:/mnt/cdrom/RPMS
4) cd /mnt/cdrom/RPMS
5) ./install.bsh -rpm2cpio

It took me awhile to figure out how to start the program. The provided
manual does not bother to explain this! I suppose if I had been able
to run the setup program, an entry to the gnome menu might have been
made.

In a terminal I did:
	cd /opt/applix
	./applix

This started the applixware iconbar. WITH ONE PROBLEM! I now get an
error every time that says something about not being able to find 12
point Font Helvetica on my system.

Suggestions on how to add this font?

Bill

 --