Re: remote backspace/delete problems

>>>>> "loren" == loren jan wilson <ljwilson@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:

loren> i have debian 2.2 installed to my computer (a very recent
loren> install via ftp). when i make a remote connection via ssh or
loren> telnet to a solaris box or a redhat box, my backspace/delete
loren> keys don't work in nvi/vim.  this is ONLY in X...everything
loren> works fine at the console.

loren> attempting to backspace this word--->hello attempting
loren> to move to the beginning and delete this word--->HELLO (turns
loren> it to caps--it beeps when i do that, too)

loren> the keys work fine in bash. in emacs, the backspace key works,
loren> but the delete key doesn't. everything on the local machine
loren> works fine. i've looked through many archives and web search
loren> results trying to fix this problem, and i've spent /way/ too
loren> long without finding a fix. perhaps this is evidence of
loren> inferior mental capacity on my part? doesn't this seem a little
loren> weird to anybody else? maybe i messed up during my x
loren> configuration?

This is a knotty area, but my first line of attack would be
termcap/terminfo, and the TERM variable.

Basically, you want the terminal database for whatever emulator you're
using (xterm, xterm-debian, rxvt?) to be available on the remote
machine.  If the systemwide files don't have that entry (and it is
unlikely that an xterm-debian entry, for instance, is installed on a
Solaris), create a private terminal database under your home
directory, upload the entry there, and set the corresponding
environment variable (TERMCAP or TERMINFO) to point to your private
tree.  For example:

on the remote machine, create a directory ~/terminfo/x

upload /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-debian to that directory

add this to ~/.ssh/environment on remote machine:
TERMINFO=~/terminfo:/usr/share/terminfo

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source