remote backspace/delete problems

i have debian 2.2 installed to my computer (a very recent install via
ftp). when i make a remote connection via ssh or telnet to a solaris
box or a redhat box, my backspace/delete keys don't work in nvi/vim.
this is ONLY in X...everything works fine at the console.

attempting to backspace this word--->hello
attempting to move to the beginning and delete this word--->HELLO
(turns it to caps--it beeps when i do that, too)

the keys work fine in bash. in emacs, the backspace key works, but the
delete key doesn't. everything on the local machine works fine. i've
looked through many archives and web search results trying to fix this
problem, and i've spent /way/ too long without finding a fix. perhaps
this is evidence of inferior mental capacity on my part? doesn't this
seem a little weird to anybody else? maybe i messed up during my x
configuration?

maybe i should just stop using the backspace and delete keys if i've
decided on using debian and X. :)  ctrl-H, anyone?

thanks in advance,
loren