RE: tar.gz and dpkg/apt

On 12-Sep-2000 Deim Agoston wrote:
> Hello !
>
> How can I tell the apt and/or dpkg that I have an MTA installed
> (postfix20000531) but not from deb package (it was tar.gz). Now everytime
> I install or remove something it tells me that the services which depends
> on an MTA won't work. And another question. Where can I find docs about
> building deb packs from tar.gz-s. (Not only from binaries but from sources
> too)

tricking the packaging system leads to broken systems.  You should use the
package provided, mail the maintainer if you need something the package does
not provide.

As for making debs, there is some work involved.  There are some documents to
help:

packaging-manual
debian-policy

Simply install the packages of the same name.  Installing task-debian-devel
gives you the docs and the tools you need.