Re: tar.gz and dpkg/apt

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 07:55:45PM +0200, Deim Agoston wrote:
> Hello !
>
> How can I tell the apt and/or dpkg that I have an MTA installed
> (postfix20000531) but not from deb package (it was tar.gz). Now everytime
> I install or remove something it tells me that the services which depends
> on an MTA won't work. And another question. Where can I find docs about
> building deb packs from tar.gz-s. (Not only from binaries but from sources
> too)
> Thanks,
> Ago

Install the alien package and do this:

mv <current tgz name> mail-transport-agent_20000531.postfix.tgz

alien --to-deb mail-transport-agent_20000531.postfix.tgz

Then install the resulting .deb. This is a hack, but atleast you can use it
till you feel more confortable installing a native postfix, or modifying the
Debian postfix build to suit your needs and building your own .deb's.