gnome/wm strangness

I have two systems.  One woody, xfree 4.0.1, woody windowmaker and
gnome.  The other is potato, acceleratedX, potato windowmaker and
gnome.  Both have identical windowmaker setups, for the most part.  Now,
until recently I had been simply envoking windowmaker with "exec
windowmaker" in .xinitrc. A week or so ago I decided to try out
gnome-session on both machines.  Everything seemed really cool (esp.
potato) but I am having problems with my windowmaker buttons.  I have
the typical set of application buttons, including netscape.  This
perticular button (I haven't seen this happen to anything else) likes to
screw up.  100% of the time I've clicked on netscape, the string for the
application to run is filled in with garbage.  Sometimes its nonsense,
sometimes it is a program name, or partial one.  I can't for the life of
me figure out what is causing this, other than gnome-session.  Both
machines worked fine before that, and are screwing up now.  If anyone
has dealt with this, or has comments/suggestions, I would be glad to
hear them, this is a major annoyance.

Thanks.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu

P.S. please cc to me, since I am not on the list.