network down! (debian seems to hate me)

Hi all!.

Got potato 2.2, and at install I could not load the
network module so I loaded the dummy module ...
I have a genius ge2500 ISA (Realtek chip) network
card.

after install, I edited the /etc/modutils/ne file to
include options io=0x280 irq=5 and now I can modprobe
the ne module (and it doesnt complain like before!).

I 'ifconfig dummy0 down' to unload the dummy network
driver and :
'ifconfig eth0 up' and all seems well but network is
unreachable

Have I missed something out ?

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Byee, Mark.