Re: network down! (debian seems to hate me)

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 04:17:54PM -0700, Mark Sanchez wrote:
> Hi all!.
>
> Got potato 2.2, and at install I could not load the
> network module so I loaded the dummy module ...
> I have a genius ge2500 ISA (Realtek chip) network
> card.
>
> after install, I edited the /etc/modutils/ne file to
> include options io=0x280 irq=5 and now I can modprobe
> the ne module (and it doesnt complain like before!).
>
> I 'ifconfig dummy0 down' to unload the dummy network
> driver and :
> 'ifconfig eth0 up' and all seems well but network is
> unreachable

You should edit /etc/network/interfaces (man interfaces) and use the command
"ifup eth0" or "/etc/init.d/network start" the later probably being the
Debian way...?  The "ifup" command configures the interface based on the
interfaces config file.

My dummy is still up along with eth0.  I don't know if this is correct or
not, but it works.  Is eth0 configured properly in /etc/network/interfaces?

--
Pat Mahoney	<pat7@gmx.net>

linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
(ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)