Re: Harddrive Weirdness

From: Julio Merino <jmmv@mail.com>
To: Gregg C <debian_user@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Harddrive Weirdness
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:09:17 +0200

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 11:14:09PM -0400, Gregg C wrote:

> This is somewhat more of a hardware question but it might interest someone
> here.
>
> I was installing (with the pci/ide disks) on a system that has very been > running 2.1 for 9 or 10 months (I built it when I loaded 2.1 on it, so its > recent hardware western digital ide hd, asus p5a, k6-2 450), went through > it, rebooted, and was in dselect picking which packages to install. I was > interupted and had to go away for a few hours, when I came back, I didn't
> quite realize at what step I was at in the install, and so I noticed the
> 2.2.17pre6 kernel image, and thought, oh I'd like that too, and selected it.
>
> So halfway through installing the packages, it replaced the kernel, and
> still not thinking about what I was doing, moved the modules directory and > hit Y to install the new kernel. Then it continues installing the other half
> of the packages.
>
> Almost did that is. It began to get drive write errors, and quite shortly
> the system locked up.
>
> I had to cut the power, and start again. But when I began the install over > again, even rewrote the partition table, etc, I kept getting the same write
> errors from the harddrive. I then formated the disk with and old dos
> bootdisk, and still got the errors when reinstalling. I then rebooted from > the rescue disk, and did a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda and wiped the disk > totally. made one big partition, fscked it, and did a read check, but stil
> got the same write errors during an install attempt.
>
> Pissed, I went to bed, and got up in the morning and the install everything
> went fine.
>
> I can only assume being powered off for 7 or 8 hours caused whatever was
> wrong to go away. Is this reasonable? Is there something on the drive, a
> buffer of somekind, that could have been hosed by the kernel-crash that was
> able to survive a 30second power off, but went away during the long
> powerdown?

Maybe your hard drive get too hot?? I don't know, but this can be a
reason, so in the 7-8 hours, it got cold another time and worked
fine. Try to get your system up several hours and look what happens.

Bye!

> The last thing to ask me about is hardware, so I'm rather puzzeled.
> >
> --

Juli-Manel Merino Vidal

Email: jmmv@mail.com
Homepage: http://jmmv.cjb.net

I don't think that was the problem, because I continued to toy with it in the same location/conditions, the next day, after the good install, and I did significantly more cpu/drive intensive stuff than just running through an install, and never had any problems. Plus the box normally sits in a location slightly warmer than where I was messing with it, and I've not had any problems.

Gregg