Re: Extreme disappointment. :(

Shane Pearson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been using Linux for about 3 years including OpenBSD for about 1 year, so I hope that the problems I'm having with Debian 2.2 Potato are not due to my ignorance. After reading great things about Debian, and a 2.2 kernel version finally coming out as "stable" on CD from my local Linux shoppe, I was very excited to request it on CDR as my birthday present from my girlfriend.
>
> Unfortunately, during install, I was getting many errors. I noticed Emacs19 gets  "future timestamp" errors, gnome dependency errors, eventually an error stating something along the lines of "E.Sub Process  /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error (1) some errors occurred while unpacking", plus many errors scroll past too quickly to note, eventually the install comes to a message stating "Packages failed to install, retry?".
>
> Once I had it "installed", I fired up X and got into Enlightenment which promptly seg faulted! I know E is not the most reliable wm, but in Mandrake 7.0 I have never had it seg fault, there were other X errors causing X to die back to the console.
>
> At install, I noticed that what looks like an md5 sum (when CD1 is requested) states "bad-1" at the end, reinforcing my belief that CD1 could be corrupt.
>
> Can someone tell me how to check the CD so that I can prove to myself and the shop I bought it from that a replacement is required?

first, please wrap your lines at a reasonable length, even using
1600x1200 i still have to scroll to the right by 2-3 screens to see all
of your text!

second, check the Packages/Packages.gz files they contain md5sums for
all the packages, it is very very likely you have a bad cd. i have(along
with many others im sure) installed many potato systems without problems
like this. i strongly reccomend ditching the CD-R'd copy and getting a
real, pressed copy. even the copies i make on my own CD-R(i have used
about 6 different models/drives) do not work in all drives, only works
in some(does not work in more then it works in, same goes for all other
cds i burn not just debian) I am not sure how to automatically verify
the md5sums.

good luck getting a good copy of (anything) on CD-R. if you do return
it, get a pressed cd for best results.

nate

--
:::