Re: how to turn off auto-fill-mode in XEmacs21?

Attila Csosz <csosza@index.hu> wrote:

> I'd like to turn off the line wrappping (xemacs truncates the long lines at
> the end of line). I think this is the variable 'auto-fill-mode' but I
> can't turn it off. How to turn it off?

I am not sure that I understand what you mean. Auto-fill-mode
generates automatically splits a line that is  longer than the value of
parameter "fill-column". Emacs actually splits the line in the text file. The last word of the line, that sticks out,
becomes the first word of the new line. This feature can be toggled
on/off with the command "M-x auto-fill-mode". If auto-fill mode is on,
the word "fill" appears omn the black status-line under the text. To
turn auto-fill on automatically for my emacs 19.34, I have the following line in my
".emacs":

(setq text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

But maybe, you refer to the way that the editor handles lines that are
too long to be displayed in the editor's window. My emacs displays
those lines wrapped, but does not necessarily split the line in the
text file. A backslash character indicates that the line is
continued on the next line. I don't know how to alter this behaviour.

Paul Huygen