Problem with Linksys LNE100TX NIC

I bought the Linksys LNE100TX NIC because it claims to be compatible with Linux (and I believe them).  I haven't been too lucky, though.

I downloaded and compiled the latest Tulip driver without errors... successful first step.
I compiled the driver as a module (I got errors when compiling it as part of the kernel), so following the instructions, I type:

"insmod pci-scan" followed by "insmod tulip"

Everything seems fine up until now, no errors.  In "kern.log" I even see the following:

Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: tulip.c:v0.92i 7/31/2000 Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>

Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xc3023800, 00:20:78:1F:1D:1A, IRQ 9.

Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: eth0: MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7849 advertising 01e1.

But this is as far as I get...

When I type "ifup eth0" I get back a "Ignoring unkown interface eth0".  Also, when I do a "ifconfig", I only see information about the loopback? device.  I know that there have been many posts about this card, but the problems they've experienced are farther down the line...  I can't even get past this stage.  Any help is appreciated !!

-- Daly