Re: Problem with Linksys LNE100TX NIC

> I bought the Linksys LNE100TX NIC because it claims to be compatible
> with Linux (and I believe them).  I haven't been too lucky, though.
>
> I downloaded and compiled the latest Tulip driver without errors...
> successful first step.

> I compiled the driver as a module (I got errors when compiling it as
> part of the kernel), so following the instructions, I type:
>
> "insmod pci-scan" followed by "insmod tulip"
>
> Everything seems fine up until now, no errors.  In "kern.log" I even
> see the following:
>
> Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: tulip.c:v0.92i 7/31/2000 Written by Donald
>   Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
> Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xc3023800,
>   00:20:78:1F:1D:1A, IRQ 9.
> Sep 8 20:10:00 navi kernel: eth0: MII transceiver #1 config 3000
>   status 7849 advertising 01e1.
>
> But this is as far as I get...
>
> When I type "ifup eth0" I get back a "Ignoring unkown interface eth0".
> Also, when I do a "ifconfig", I only see information about the
> loopback? device.  I know that there have been many posts about this
> card, but the problems they've experienced are farther down the
> line...  I can't even get past this stage.  Any help is appreciated !!

What's happening is you haven't defined and entry for eth0 in
/etc/network/interfaces, assigning the correct IP number, netmask,
gateway, etc for ifup to be able to work.

This is an example from one of my computers:

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.2
        network 192.168.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.3

You didn't see eth0 in the output of "ifconfig" because you were seeing
the information on the active interfaces, and eth0 wasn't an active
interface.

"ifconfig -a" will show all interfaces.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien