Phone-answering software?

Is there any software available for Linux that can intercept phone calls
(to a phone that's connected to a modem), and...

1) Serve as an answering machine when the modem isn't in use, and/or

2) Inform me when I'm on-line and there's an incoming call?

Any help would be appreciated, since I'm going to have to cut down to
one phone line.  Generally I'm either not home, or home and using my
modem, but people need to be able to get in touch with me.

Tom