RE: German keys on console

That's got nothing to do with the keymap (which is fine.)

Two things are important:

1) in /etc/inputrc set 'convert-meta off' must be uncommented
   (it maybe by default in 2.2r1, it wasn't in tc3. The metakey
    still works fine, BTW)

2) The environment variable 'LANG' must be set to, i.e., 'de_DE',
   which also lets

	LC_CTYPE	(the culprit)
	LC_NUMERIC
	LC_TIME
	LC_COLLATE
	LC_MONETARY
	LC_MESSAGES

default to 'de_DE'. If you're like me you'll like to override
at least LC_MESSAGES back to 'en_US'.

HTH

Christian