Re: PGP and Mutt

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 03:21:58AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I admit upfront, I haven't read all the docs, but I would be chilled
> if someone could point me to the relevant part of the docs, or maybe
> even spoils the fun of having to read it all and explains:)
>
> I've upgraded from hamm to potato, and decided to try pgp due to all
> the debian-user mails that are signed. I've told mutt to use pgp5 but
> now I get the following error message once I open a signed mail:
>
>    [-- PGP output follows (current time: Sat Sep  9 03:17:03 2000) --]
>    Signature by unknown keyid: 0x55F2B9B0

You need to get the key for that key id.  GNUPG has an option to
autofetch unknown keys.

>    This signature applies to another message

That's normal: it means the signature is detached (as in multi-part).

>    Opening file "/dev/null" type text.

Noise from PGP telling you that it's sending the message itself to the
bit bucket instead of showing you that as well as the verification.
(ie, mutt's pager will display the message, not pgp).

>    [-- End of PGP output --]
>
> what's wrong here?

Well, you -should- use GNU PG instead of PGP....  gpg doesn't spew a lot
of the noise that PGP does.  (There are tricks to quiet PGP down some,
by tricking out the locales stuff to change some of the messages to
empty strings.... but gnupg works better anyway.)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting